Mt McKinley in Denali National Forest

Mt McKinley in Denali National Forest
Mac Hunt's Photo of Mt McKinley

Monday, May 30, 2011

First Time into the Park, Denali National Park

www.nps.gov/dena.

5/27/2011: I brought my fly rod, and fishing vest to work. Caught the shuttle bus into the park, right after work. Second stop after the Wilderness Access Center was for Horshoe Lake Trail. It was a beautiful and relaxing hike. Many people, mostly foreigners, including Taiwan, Egypt, Australians (lots of Aussies at the lodge, boy they are a fun group!).
                                          View from trail to Horshoe Lake
Reaching the lake, I walk the path to a sign about the beavers. Just past that is the largest, most intricate beaver dam I've ever seen! It is in a horseshoe shape, creating a beautiful clear pool.  There is fresh evidence of an eager beaver. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something black, and hear splashing. But I never see him.

Eager Beaver At Work


THE Beaver Dam!!!!!
  
Second beaver dam, creates another pool..clear enough to see the Arctic Grayling

 
  With my first cast, using a dry fly, I catch a small Grayling. Fishing in the pool, and streams flowing out of thme I catch a total of 4. They are great fighters! I call Craig to tell him how this area looks like where we go in the Sierras.  As we are talking another hits my fly, and have to say an abrupt Goodbye.

e
Grayling average 8-18 inches, and have a huge dorsal fin(later blog photos of mounted Grayling will demonstrate.

Spotted small schools of Grayling along creek.



I continued my hike till the streams end at the Nenana River, just below and across from our lodge.
I head back to the bus stop.  Meet up with Rob, my Manager who told me about this spot.  As we near the crest, I tell him how I still haven't seen a Moose. Just as we hit the top, I see something brown in the grass. Its a Moose! Grazing next to the Alaska railroad tracks.  Many tourist stopped to take photos. Heres mine.




Moose behind bushes..don't get too close!

No comments:

Post a Comment