Mt McKinley in Denali National Forest

Mt McKinley in Denali National Forest
Mac Hunt's Photo of Mt McKinley

Monday, August 15, 2011

Fishing at Horshoe Lake

August 25, 2011
I brought my fly rod, and fishing gear to work. On Fridays I work 6 am till 2:30 pm. Immediately I took the shuttle to Horseshoe Lake.  As usual on the shuttle ride I met several visitors, all interested by my flyrod and fishing vest. Getting off the bus I become the guide to a small entoruge of tourists.

Showing them the way to the beaver dam, and creeks, I excuse myself to go fishing.

That night I am using the black ant flies that brother caught bought and mailed to me. Along the deep water, the grayling rise to hit my flies. I catch about 15 of them. Some very nice sized for that species.

The beavers are busy. Swimming with logs they have cut down. Taking them to their den across from me.  Then one swims toward me from the right, and one straight ahead. The meet, and beginning swimming together..it becomes aparrent they are a mating pair. My presence does not bother them.


I look behind me and see a moose standing in the shallows, feeding on the grass. There are a group of people on shore watching her. She looks like she is posing for them.



Shortly a mother duck, swims by, and has it ducklings following her, with one that is trailing behind.
(I enter the photo in our contest at our housing. Duckie. the resident manager asks if she can have it, of course, yes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment