Mt McKinley in Denali National Forest

Mt McKinley in Denali National Forest
Mac Hunt's Photo of Mt McKinley

Monday, July 18, 2011

Friday after work

I've become an avid Artic Grayling fisherman.
I brought my fishing gear to work.Fridays I get up at 4:30, begin work at 6 am, and work till 2:30. I get on the Denali Park access bus at our main lodge. It goes to 3 stops; Wilderness Acess Center, Visitors Center, and Horsehoe Lake. As I enter the bus with my vest, fly rod, and camo shirt, the tourist see me as a local guide. I end up having a group of about 6, follow me down the hill. I point out the beaver dams. Then one beaver swims up and climbs over the dam, in full view of the tourists. I take time to show the "lower 48'ers" around, then begin fishing.




I catch many small grayline. They hit the fly like a rocket. I catch the biggest one yet, about 14 inches.

I become the only one on the lake, as I am fishing there are beavers all around swimming with large branches, I can hear them like squirrels chewing on logs, loudly slapping their tails.  All of a sudden there is a tremendous splash a few hundred yards ahead in the shallow water.  Its a Moose. In the shallow water it stand there, sticking its head in the water to eat grass, swwimming to deeper water.
It is a magnificant scene!

Female moose...there was something walking on the shoeline...a Lynx?..the baby moose?

No comments:

Post a Comment